Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Did the people sing?

I love the congregational voice in worship. Through years of observing, leading and participating in worship, I have found the "congregational voice," the joint people's voice, to be the most thrilling and powerful. It supersedes the accompanist's at the keyboard, the guitarist's, the worship leader's, and the soloist's.


Many worship leaders are coming to this conclusion, to the extent that at a recent workshop for church musicians, I heard Keith Getty (one of the authors and composers of In Christ Alone) state that the primary, if not only, question that the music worship team should consider on Monday morning is, "Did the people sing?"

I have played the piano in church since 1973, and led church singing since 1981. I also directed a high school choir for more than 25 years. I tried never to settle on one style of music, one rhythm, or one era. But I did always follow substantive, Biblical lyrics set to a good melody.

I'll keep a running commentary on improving congregational singing, using links that I find helpful or interesting. Please feel free to comment or send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment