If 2 percent of worshippers are able to use notes to read
music in worship singing, it will make a huge difference for the worship as a
whole.
Sources say that only 2 percent of the human race are note
readers. That means that 2 percent of worshippers are note readers. If that 2 percent
is allowed to read notes during worship music, it will substantially change the
way the congregation sounds. Note readers are sprinkled through our
congregations and know how to project their voices. They will add volume and
texture to the congregational sound, given the opportunity to see where the
melody and the harmonies go. I was in a worship setting recently where the
guitarist said the quick word “sing” before every difficult phrase. We were
given the words of the song on a digital projector, but I was left to guess where
the melody was going. If I had been given the notes, I could have helped a lot
from row 40.
I recently discovered an excellent source for words and
notes that can be projected digitally. I practiced it in a congregation of 300
in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and it works. Here’s the link. http://digitalsongsandhymns.com
I’m operating from the premise that cultivating and enhancing the congregational voice is the best thing that worship leaders and pastors can do for their church music.

This is so true. Plus, people can learn to read notes by having the music in front of them every week. Hymnbooks are an asset we generally take for granted.
ReplyDelete